Monday, May 25, 2009

Day One.. goin' Greek!

Tomorrow is Memorial Day. One of our goals for the day is to buy a new barbeque. So, dinner will be my first 'new recipe' try. Kalyn's Souvlaki Recipe I think I will serve it with Tzatziki Sauce, Mediterranean Salad with Hummus Dressing & Georgette's Really Lemony Greek Pilafi.. Going to have to check everything with my zone tracker but I think this will come out pretty close.

Ok.. here's how it breaks down for 2 servings:
Kalyn's Souvlaki
2 Costco pork chops =6P
Mediterranean Salad with Hummus Dressing
3T dressing = 5 F (a little high hmmm.. maybe *I'll cut down on the olive oil) * Did use only 5 T olive oil and then only 2-1/2 T dressing on each salad
Salad
6 olives= 2 F
Tzatziki Sauce
1.9 P for1/2 recipe (We didn't come close to eating that much.. maybe 1/4 between the two of us)
Lemon Pilaf (1/2 c. each)
4 C
4.5 Fat (too high- going to cut the olive oil to 1 tsp)
1 flour tortilla (couldn't find pita bread in WalMart. Aaargh.)=2 C
***************
It all turned out great. Bill said the Tzatziki Sauce was better than My Big Fat Greek Restaurant's. I think we overcooked the meat but it was tender anyway. If I were making it just for me, I'd skip the rice and have some broccoli and maybe applesauce for dessert- although Bill liked the rice. Its not really the recipe, I'm just not a big fan of rice. Anyway, nice to have my first trial run at becoming a 'Zone Foodie' a success. Thanks, Kalynn!

I just did a double check on my numbers and realized that I used a lot of lemon juice in this menu (1/3 c= 1 C) .. May be a little high on C. Will probably cut the rice down to 1/4 c. next time. And, it was also a little high in F although all the fat was from favorable sources so not too worried about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment